Re: [pct-l] Re: Introduction/Tahoe-Yosemite Trail Question

Lynn - I hiked the TYT North to South this summer.  The only reason I
did it that way was because that was the direction that Winnet's book is
written in.  I know that with the snow fall this year being far above
normal, it would have been easier going over Dick's Pass going
northbound rather than southbound.  Also, the stretch between Highway
108 and Tuolumne Meadows is the largest raodless area in Ca at around
113 miles, and would be your first leg if going northbound.  If you go
southbound you have two more drops before Highway 108 that can kinda
"warm you up" before the long stretch.  Other than that, I didn't really
see any particular reason to go one way or another.

Here are the drops that I used:

1.  Echo Lakes Resort  (free)

2.  Lake Alpine Resort on Highway 4, 1 miles west of where the trail
crosses the Highway.   (free)

3.  Kennedy Meadows Resort on Highway 108, 8 miles west of Sonora Pass.
Best burger I've eaten in a long time.  They raise their own cattle.
($10.00/pkg)

Sorry that I didn't post the address/phone with the list.  I seem to
have misplaced that info.  If I find it, I'll e-mail it to you
personally.

Also, there is a book on Resorts and Bed & Breakfasts of the Sierras.  I
looked at this book at Vermillion Valley Resort
http://www.edisonlake.com, as Butch and Peggy have a copy in the general
store.  It listings and contact info for all of the above and several
other listings of resorts in the area that one might be able to use as a
drop location.

Good luck.

peace,
Dude in TX