Re: [pct-l] training methods

While making sure that you are in overall good shape, so that you start with
some endurance, I firmly believe that there is no better training for through
hiking the PCT than to hike terrain equivalent to the PCT.  Coming from the flat
lands of the mid west, where I hiked miles upon miles with a full pack, begining
several months prior to starting the PCT, it was my experience that no amount of
mileage could adequatly prepare you for mountainous hiking.  The first three
weeks on the PCT provided all the conditioning I needed.  After that, although
it was strenous, the hike was 90% mental.