Re: [pct-l] Introductions ---

To Greg and all on the list,

> I remember the last night of the hike sitting just south of the Canadian
> border with Paul Hacker in 1977.  We were, of course, reminiscing about the
> hike and started going back over the places we camped before meeting up.
> We were both astonished when we realized that we could tell each other the
> exact place where we had camped every night from Campo all the way to
> Burney Falls where we met up.  It was then easy to remember all the places
> from there to where we were camped that night.   I could literally remember
> what I had done every day for the last 5 months, 2 weeks and 4 days!  I
> have never had another period in my life where I could think back and
> recall what I have done every day over the past month, let alone 5 months!
>
> Has anyone else had this experience?

I've had this experience in the mountains, on expeditions, especially
long ones. I'm new to long distance hiking but will not be at all
surprised if the same kind of memory clarity shows up in California as
did on Denali or Vinson or Everest. I will do the California section of
the PCT next summer and my heart sings with the idea of spending many
days on the trail and nights in a bag on the ground. It is when I am
most alive.

Namaste, margo

--
Margo Chisholm