[CDT-L] Altitude???

Well I have a question.  From what I know, the CDT travels the
highest for the longest of the major trails.  How can you prepare for
the change. If someone lives at say 2000ft above sea level, how long would
it take to acclimatize yourself to such a change.  I would assume
that in starting from south to north, the gain would be gradual
enough to deal with.  Is that a sane assumption?   I know when I
drove from Pa to Estes Park Colorado, I couldn't believe the
difference.  Trying to hike in RMNP was very rough........     Kahley