Re: [pct-l] Class of '99

In a message dated 11/26/98 12:57:43 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Jeffzclimb@aol.com writes:

>  Looks like theres quite a few people planning a pacific
>  crest trail thru-hike in '99, and from what I read on the
>  list, seems like everybody has planned to start at the
>  Mexican border.
<snip>
>  I was wondering if anybody has given thought to start
>  at manning park, if snowfall was higher then normal in
>  the sierras and lower in the cascades.

>  keep my options open on were to start depending on snow
>  conditions.

That's an excellent idea!  Through-hiking any trail takes a particular kind of
daring and fortitude within reasonable realms of safety.

One thing that has worried me, from the get go, is an above average snowfall
in the sierras.  I've heard of others that didn't make it through, turned back
and either quit outright or flipped.

My opitions are open,  Sly