[pct-l] Re: Light Backpacks

From pct-l-digest on 11/17/98 5:34 PM:

>I'll be interested in the internal frame recommendations. I have a pack
>I love but it is very heavy, and I'm absolutely in the market for
>something lighter than 6 pounds that will still carry 45 pounds
>reasonably comfortably. I'm a 5'2" female with a short torso so that is
>always a consideration.

This summer I dumped my luxuriously large but extra heavy external frame
for a Lowe Alpine Attack 40.

I absolutely love this pack. Stripped of its mountaineering accessories,
the Alpine Attack only weighs 1 lb, 15 oz. I'm not sure if I could load
45 pounds onto it since the pack doesn't have an internal frame, just
ample padding. I usually carry in the low to mid 20's, including food and
water, so I don't really need a frame.

I, too, am a female with a short torso and find the pack comfortable.
Because I don't carry that much weight, I don't need a lot of extra
padding.

At rest stops, getting in and out of the pack is breeze. I can even carry
it on one shoulder. Although I've only used it for 3-day trips so far, I
would not hesitate to take it long-distance. The Alpine Attack pack
volume is 2400 cubic inches, which sounds low, but the main cavity has an
expandable drawstring top, so I can really cram a lot in there.

My only complaint is that it has one of those fitted lids that doesn't
quite fit over the top correctly when the pack is extra full. Also,
whenever I hike in Yosemite, I always have to get someone else to carry
the bear can (the can is so bulky, it takes up a ton of room in the pack).

As a side note, the Alpine Attack also came with a platypus hydration
system, which I totally love. There's nothing like the convenience of
sucking up some fresh water whenever you feel like it without having to
move your arms. My friends always make fun of my little IV drip, but it
rocks. I stay much better hydrated now.

I'm really turning into an equipment geek. This list is great.

-d

diane cohn __________________________________________ diane@wildeye.com