Re: [pct-l] Ultra light backpacks

In a message dated 11/16/98 9:55:42 PM EST, GentlyTred@aol.com writes:

<< Dana Design pack...fits me wonderfully...but it weighs somewhere around 5.5
- 6 lbs.  I've heard about some ultra light packs coming out this winter that
are between 2 and 3 lbs. without sacrificing capacity.  Any info. out there on
this? >>

I just got a Lowe Alpine Contour Mountain 50 that looks impressive for thru-
hikers that want to go light.  2 lb 11 oz, 3000 cu in.  (Available from
Campmor.)  Might even reduce the weight further by cutting off extraneous
slings and holsters, but I want to try it out first, as is.  Plan to do just
that on a weekend snowcamp trip on Donner Pass in a couple weeks.  -- Roy