Re: [pct-l] Introductions

JMiller3v@aol.com wrote:

> I serve as volunteer coordinator for the Mountaintop Ranger District
> Recreation Volunteers (that's a mouthful).  We are one of three volunteer
> groups on the San Bernardino that the PCT crosses through. (San Jacinto
> Volunteer Assoc., San Gorgonio Volunteer Assoc., and us)
>
> Our group spends 90% of their time on projects throughout the district,
> ranging from graffiti removal to cleanups at the Deep Creek Hot Springs.  In
> addition, we help where ever we can, example being this last Sunday, we found
> a hiker suffering from exposure in the Camp Creek trail area.  That is when it
> is truly rewarding.  Search and Rescue is performed under a mutual aid
> agreement by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department SAR.  We have
> assisted them on a few occasions.
>
> John

John -
Tell me - is this all "unpaid" volunteer time? I'm not trying to be
personal here - but there's a disconnect between what I think you're
telling me and a previous discussion on the list.  And you know a lot
more about it than I do, so ---- I figured you might be a good source
for answers.

Another question while I'm at it -- who does the actual trail work?  I
mean - who designs, builds and maintains the trails in your forests?  Is
that an unpaid volunteer effort like it is here?  Or are there paid
trail crews?  I'm not talking just about the PCT - I know that uses a
lot of volunteer labor - but I'm thinking of the other trails as well.
Most hikers have no idea who builds and maintains the trails they walk.
The assumption is that if it is on government land, then the government
must do it.  But around here at least, that's not true at all. We spent
last weekend working on building a new trail - three years in the making
- and we have yet to see a ranger out there with the volunteer crews.
We do a lot of trail maintenance and I know how it works in the East,
but I don't want to be making assumptions about your trails.  I have a
personal interest cause I'll be out that way someday soon - and I might
have an interest in volunteering.  If nothing else, I'd like to know who
to thank.

Walk softly,
Jim