[pct-l] training methods

I was wondering what sort of training programs people have found useful in
preparing for thru-hikes. I'm already in fairly good shape, but I'd like to
get in better shape before my hike. I think Jardine recommends something
like twelve miles a day a couple times a week, which isn't really something
I can fit into my schedule. I go hiking just about every weekend, but during
the week I don't have a lot of time. Does jogging work the same muscles as
hiking? I would expect so, but maybe the speed makes a difference.

Thanks,
Yip