[pct-l] Biography's

To all,

I think that Jim Owen came up with a great idea, essentially to
bring out the PCT-l lurkers that sit at their desks and read,
read, read, but never contribute - like myself. I find that
when I do reply to anyone about anything, I tend to send personal
email instead of working through the list. I attribute this to
shyness...
I promise to try and change that antisocial cyber-behavior.

My name is Jim Oakley (Big Bear - AT'93, PCT '96), one of those
people that stumbled - literally - into long distance backpacking
and finally found something I could do that gave me a true sense
of SATISFACTION when I finished - whether it was a day, week,
month or an entire thru hike. By no means am I a lightweight
backpacker -although I have read everything there is to read.
I found that Ray Jardine was a delightful guy to meet and exchange
correspondence with and that he had several really great ideas that
helped me in my planning for my PCT thru hike. I just like having a
few luxuries on trail that lightweight junkies give me grief about.
Hike yer own hike!

I'm currently a young 39, single, living in NJ and in a management
position with a successful audio visual staging business. My job
allows me to make long range plans that allow me to hike long
distance, even though the planning stages for the off trail finances
and living arrangements and the like are along the lines of an Apollo
Launch.

Like many of the rest, I was in scouting and that awoke me to the
Great Outdoors, but it was my parents that encouraged me to keep
my interests alive by taking us on long family vacations to
the National Parks during my childhood. My Dad and I did a small
piece of the AT when I was 14 and I finally returned in 1993 to make
good on a promise to myself at age 33 by thru hiking the AT. Like the
rest of you thru hikers out there, that changed everything.

The AT was great, the PCT was awesome and my planning for the
CDT has already commenced. My experiences have also taken me
through the backcountry areas in a good number of the National
Parks, Forests and BLM lands that aren't on the major trails
and I have enjoyed those two week scurmishes through the
(somewhat) protected areas of the US. I've learned plenty
about what the trails are about, what the Hiker World is
like and what my personal capabilities are. I love to read
what the rest of the hiker world is thinking (although I find
the at-l a tough read at this point) and I cherish the friendships
I've made on trail throughout the years.

The PCT-l is interesting and diverse and I thoroughly enjoy
reading (and hopefully posting) for our world to share. Let's keep
it fun, informative and civil.

Thanks,

Jim