Re: [pct-l] Re: crampons and ice ax, Kerrick Canyon

"Joanne Lennox" <goforth@cio.net>  wrote:
>>  Actually, I think an ice ax looks wicked.  Some guy might think twice
>about attacking me;

I agree, but if he decides to actually attack, if you are not willing/able
to use it, it will become his weapon, not yours. If you have not trained
enough that response is automatic (without thought), then you are not
"able" to use it.

> I have a second degree black belt in Aikido, the ice ax is much like a
combination
>sword and staff .

Sounds like probably enough training to me.

My concern is twofold. The first I already stated, the second is what I
feel to be the biggest problem with carying an item one intends to use for
self defense: an unarmed person tends to be more careful to avoid
situations that might prove dangerous. The armed person is more likely to
actually get into trouble.

In any event, none of this applies to a PCT hike. You will be safe on the
trail. No animals will threaten you, and all the hikers will be kind. The
only problem I could ever imagine would be in a town, and you deal with
that every day without lugging an ice axe. The only recent fatalities I
know of have been the Rodmans who were hit by a car while road walking in
1997 (see http://www.gorp.com/pcta/rodman.htm) one guy who slid off Baden
Powell, and one guy who died of exposure up by Lassen in a tent without a
rain fly.

Expend you effort on other concerns.

> Is this you job ? Who pays for this site;
>I enjoy it very much and would like to offer at least some support.

Any effort I put twards the PCT is a labor of love. If you want to support,
then join the PCTA.

Hike your own hike.

--
Brick Robbins                       Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler!
mailto:brick@fastpack.com        http://www.fastpack.com/brick