[CDT-L] Re: [at-l] Thruhiking - Learning about it

     Yes Sir! and Well Put!
     Take this as an invitation, gang!

Subject: [at-l] Thruhiking - Learning about it
Author:  Owen <jrowen@ibm.net> at ima
Date:    12/9/98 11:14 PM

<MAJOR SNIP ACTION:>
And then there are the email lists and forums. If you're a future
thruhiker, I'd advise caution with respect to what you get from them.
There's a lot of valuable information - but there's also some nonsense.
I think one fault with the lists lies in the attitude that such things
as cell phones, speed records, bear canisters or other political Trail
"issues" have any real importance or relevance to those who are
thruhiking. Those "issues" may be good "armchair discussions", but
they're essentially irrelevant to the trail.  And the forums generally
have a "resident population" who use the forum as a personal
communication medium. That can also be true of some lists.  There's
nothing wrong with that, but it can sometimes be hard for newcomers to
break into the "conversation" and get real information.