Re: [CDT-L] RE: CDT list update

At 01:21 PM 5/21/98 -0600, Jim wrote:

>snip
>
>I do have a ??? about boots.  I went to the REI store and they said these
>were not good multi-day heavy load boots.  I have not had much porblems
>with them.  Has anyone had any
>problems with them? And does everyone use hiking poles now?

Jim,

On the subject of hiking poles; I have done alot of research on this
subject.  The details are located at www.mindsping.com/~treeline.  This
article is due for an update.

On the boots; my experience has been that anything less than full grain
leather (no fabric) mid-weight boots do not hold up well under pack loads.
This is especially true in talus and scree laced terrain like that found in
the southern Colorado Rockies (e.g., Sange de Christo Mtns.)  Since you
already own them, see how they hold up.

David