[at-l] section hike-Pearisburg to Atkins, Va. May4-13

We began from the Senator Shumate Bridge on Sunday afternoon and headed
south.  We are Pils Cousin, Big Jake and First Pilgrim.  The climb up to
Angels Rest was short but hard on out of condition section hikers.  It rained
a little and even tried to sleet for about two minutes.  About 1/2 mile past
the top is a side trail to the right, with a spring and a couple of good
campsites.  Here we spent the night, good site except for the train noise
during the night.

After the three mile climb on Sunday, Monday was mostly an uneventful eight
miles to Woodshole.  Woodshole, Ms Tillie, friend, and Hugh Penn were
delightful and gracious.  I wish that I had brought a camera but the picture
in my mind will last forever.  During that night, it rained and the sound of
the rain hitting the tin roof of the barn made for fine sleeping.  Breakfast
was wonderful and so was the conversation around the table.

After breakfast, we started with only six miles to Wapiti Shelter and some of
the best trail that I have seen on the AT.  Somewhere I lost the bite valve
on my water tube and mentioned it to a thru hiker that I met.  He gave me his
spare and would not accept any payment, a true example of Trail Magic.  I
believe his name was Lopin'
Lobo.

Wapiti had plenty of level space and we set up our tents and met two north
bound section hikers from Newnan, Ga.  They were Loan Hawk and Big Scout and
we had a good visit.

On Wednesday, we were supposed to cover about 13 miles to Jenny Knob Shelter
but we enjoyed Trent Grocery and their cheeseburgers too much and had to camp
about a mile short of the shelter.  Also the temporary trail relocation
before Trent's took its toll.  This was not a good campsite, nor a good
night.

Thursday, we had to make up a mile plus 10 more to get to Helveys Mill
Shelter.  Surprisely, it was full, but putting up tents went well.  The other
surprise was the hike to get water.  Who ever made that trail had some real
heavy work.  Thanks to all who work and maintain trails and shelters.

Friday, we had a little over 2 miles to US-21/52, where we were met by Easy
in Pils Cousin's Bronco.  I hated to see Cousin and Big Jake leave and head
back to the other world, but it was nice to have Easy and a resupply of food.
 We had intended to  spend the night at Hunting Camp Creek Hostel but it is
closed and so is James Burke B & B.  We found a really good campsite and
water source at Va.-615, again rain at night.

Saturday was stream crossing morning, I think we did it 20 times.  We did
about eight miles before turning off the trail to Davis Farm Campsite.  This
is like a balcony cut into the side of the mountain with a fantastic view of
Burke's Garden.  There is only room for about three tents and we had two.
 The water source is fine.  Our problem was the wind, it seemed determined to
blow our tents away, but somehow they held.

Sunday, we walked eight miles to Chestnut Knob Shelter after a stop at Walker
Gap for water.  This is a nicely renovated shelter with an outstanding view
in all directions.
Again, the wind was fierce and lasted all night, but we were comfortable.
 For some unknown reason, I did not sleep well.

Monday, we walked nine miles to Knot Maul Shelter.  I put up my tent, it
rained, and I slept well.  Is this correlated to rain?

Tuesday was push day.  We had almost 14 miles to get to Atkins and some tough
trail elevations and stiles.  When we got to Davis Path Shelter, it was
raining and cold with three miles to go.  NOTHING  was going to keep us from
a bed, shower, and a good meal that night.  We made it to the Dairy Queen at
6:30.  I have now completed from Springer to Harpers Ferry plus 75 miles in
Maine.  Joy and Satisfaction!!

First Pilgrim